12v 150ah lead-acid battery with a 50% DoD limit will last between 20 hours (running a 40-watt AC appliance) to 5 hours (running a 160-watt AC appliance).
In this post, you’ll learn how long will a 150ah battery last running a different size AC or DC load (with examples).
Also, I’ll share the manual calculation method and some other important points to keep in mind that the other websites aren’t talking about.
Need an easy solution? use our battery runtime calculator ( given below ) and “ Enter the battery specs and the total load in watts ” to find out how long will a 150ah battery last
150ah Battery backup time Calculator
Note! use my solar panel size calculator to find out what size solar panel you need to recharge your battery in desired hours with solar panels.
- Inverter Efficiency: 90%
- Lead-acid battery: 50% depth of discharge limit
- Lithium (LiFePO4): 100% depth of discharge limit
Battery Depth of discharge DoD: is the percentage of the battery that has been discharged relative to the total battery capacity. The recommended depth of discharge limit for lead-acid, AGM, and gel batteries is about 50%. Only lithium (LiFePO4) batteries can be fully discharged to 100%.
How To Use The Calculator
- Enter the battery capacity in amp-hours (Ah): in this case, it’ll be 150
- Enter the battery voltage: is this a 12, 24, or 48-volt battery?
- Select the battery type: Select “Lead-acid” if you’re using a flooded or sealed (AGM or gel) lead acid battery. Select “Lithium (LiFePO4)” if you use a lithium-iron-phosphate battery.
- load Connected with inverter?: Are you using an inverter to run the load or is the load connected directly through the battery?
- Enter total load in watts: Enter the total load in watts (e.g 100 for 100 watts of output load)
After entering the information, click “Calculate” button to find out how long the battery last running a load.
if you’ve got some time keep reading… I’ll share a manual calculation method that you can use in the future to calculate any size battery runtime on any load and also some additional information about batteries that will affect the battery last time.
how long can a 150ah battery run a load of 600 watts?
12v 150ah lithium (LiFePO4) battery (with 100% Depth of discharge limit) will run a 600 watts of load for about 2 hours and 43 minutes
Video – All about battery basics (Must watch!)
Steps to calculate 150ah battery runtime
Follow these steps to calculate the 150ah battery backup time/runtime while running a load.
1- Converter battery ah into watt-hours (Wh). to calculate the battery capacity in watt-hours use this formula
Battery capacity in watt-hours = Battery amp-hours (Ah) * Battery Volts
let’s say you have a 12v 150ah battery
150ah battery in watts = 150 * 12 = 1800 watt-hours
2- Multiply the battery watt-hours by the battery depth of discharge limit. ( Default battery depth of discharge limit, Lead-acid battery: 50% DoD limit; Lithium: 100% DoD limit ). Let’s say you have a lead-acid type battery
Battery capacity in wh after DoD limit = 1800 * 50% = 900wh
3- Multiply the battery capacity after the DoD limit with the inverter efficiency rate to calculate the AC watt-hours ( Most of the inverters are about 90% efficient)
Battery AC watts = 900 * 90% = 810 AC watt-hours
4- Divide the battery AC watt-hours by the total load connected. Let’s say 100-watt appliance is connected to your 150ah battery
150ah battery runtime on 100w appliance = 810 / 100 = 8.1 hours
How long will a 150ah battery last? – chart
Here’s a chart on how long will a 12v 150ah lithium (LiFePO4) battery will last while running a different watt load.
|Appliance Power Required||150ah Battery Runtime|
|50 watt||32 hours|
|100 watt||16 hours|
|150 watt||11 hours|
|200 watt||8 hours|
|300 watt||5.2 hours|
|400 watt||4 hours|
|500 watt||3.2 hour|
|600 watt||2.6 minutes|
|800 watt||2 hour|
|1000 watt||1.6 hours|
|1200 watt||1.3 hours|
|1500 watt||1 hour|
|2000 watt||50 minutes|
|3000 watt||33 minutes|
- 12v 150ah Lithium (LiFePO4) battery with 100% DoD limit will last between 32 hours (running 50-watt load) to 33 minutes (running 3000-watt load)
Note! The values are based on AC output load with a 90% efficient inverter.
Assumptions & Shortcomings of All These Methods
Here are some extra yet important points to keep in mind when figuring out how long will your 150ah battery will last running a load
Battery life cycle count:
- The storage capacity of the battery will decrease with every cycle ( a cycle is when you charge and discharge the battery to its DoD limit ).
- if you have used your battery for a few hundred cycles then the result will be different. ( this factor isn’t included in my above-given methods )
Batteries are rated for 5 amps over 20 hours of time:
- Especially lead-acid type batteries are designed to be discharged at 20 hours. ( means 150ah lead-acid batteries are recommended to be discharged @ 7.5 amps in order to maintain the battery health and reduce the discharge efficiency ).
- on the other hand, AGM and lithium (LiFePO4) can be discharged at 50% of their capacity.
- Discharging your battery at a higher rate will increase heat in the battery’s internal cells which will cause power loss. (this factor isn’t included in my above-given methods).
- For example, if you discharge your lead-acid battery with 150 amps then it’s will not last 30 minutes ( keep in mind the 50% DoD limit ). but it may last about 15-20 minutes.
- Check the battery discharge rate on the specs sheet of your battery or it’ll be mentioned on the battery (1h → 1C, 2h → 0.5C, 5h → 0.2C, etc.)
The number of fans you can connect with a 150ah battery will mainly depend on the size of the inverter and the size of the fans (the size of the inverter should be 20% higher than the total wattage of the fans. But ideally, with a 12v 150ah lead-acid battery, you can connect about 2 (50 watts fans), and about 18 (50 watts of fans) with a lithium-type battery
150ah battery means you can run 15 amp appliance @ 12v for 10 hours
150ah battery is 1800 watts @ 12v, 3600 watts @ 24v, 7200 watts @ 48v
Renogy 2000W pure sine inverter is recommended for 150Ah battery
- What Size Solar Panel To Charge 150ah Battery? + Calculator
- Solar Battery Charge Time Calculator
- Amps To Watts Calculator: How Many Watts In A 12-Volt Battery?