What does 110ah mean on a battery? 12v 110Ah battery is equal to 1320 Watts (Watts = Battery Ah* Battery Volts).
So will it last 1 hour while running 1300 watts of load? Well, Yes and No, there are a few factors that will determine how long your battery will last
Need an easy solution? Use our battery runtime calculator (given below) and ” Enter the battery specs, and the load in watts” to find out how long your 110ah battery will last.
But there are some factors that may affect the battery runtime which I’m gonna discuss in this post.
Battery Runtime Calculator
Note! use my solar panel size calculator for a battery to recharge your battery in desired hours with solar panels.
- Inverter Efficiency: 90%
- Lead-acid battery: 50% depth of discharge limit
- Lithium (LiFePO4): 100% depth of discharge limit
Battery Depth of discharge DoD: is the percentage of the battery that has been discharged relative to the total battery capacity. The recommended depth of discharge limit for lead-acid, AGM, and gel batteries is about 50%. Only lithium (LiFePO4) batteries can be fully discharged to 100%.
How To Use The Calculator
- Enter the battery capacity in amp-hours (Ah): in this case, it’ll be 110
- Enter the battery voltage: is this a 12, 24, or 48-volt battery?
- Select the battery type: Select “Lead-acid” if you’re using a flooded or sealed (AGM or gel) lead acid battery. Select “Lithium (LiFePO4)” if you use a lithium-iron phosphate battery.
- load Connected with inverter?: Are you using an inverter to run the load or is the load connected directly through the battery?
- Enter total load in watts: Enter the total load in watts (e.g 500 for 500 watts of output load)
After entering the information, click “Calculate” button to find out how long will a 110ah battery last
if you’ve got some time keep reading… I’ll share a manual calculation method that you can use in the future to calculate any size battery runtime on any load and also some additional information about batteries that will affect the battery last time.
Let’s suppose you have a 12v 110ah lead-acid battery with a 50% depth of discharge limit. The total load connected to the battery is 500 watts using an inverter
12v 110ah lead-acid leisure battery will last about 1.2 hours running a 500 watts of AC load with an inverter.
Video – All about battery basics (Must watch!)
Steps to calculate 110ah battery runtime
Follow these steps to calculate the battery life/runtime while running a load.
1- Converter battery ah into watt-hours (Wh). to calculate the battery capacity in watt-hours use this formula
Battery capacity in watt-hours = Battery amp-hours (Ah) * Battery Volts
let’s say you have a 12v 110ah battery
110ah battery in watts = 110 * 12 = 1320 watt-hours
2- Multiply the battery watt-hours to the battery depth of discharge limit. ( Default battery depth of discharge limit, Lead-acid battery: 50% DoD limit; Lithium: 100% DoD limit ). Let’s say you have a lead-acid type battery
Battery capacity in wh after DoD limit = 1320 * 50% = 660wh
3- Multiply the battery capacity after the DoD limit with the inverter efficiency rate to calculate the AC watt-hours ( Most of the inverters are about 90% efficient)
Battery AC watts = 660 * 90% = 594 AC watt-hours
4- Divide the battery AC watt-hours by the total load connected. Let’s say 500-watt appliance is connected to your 110ah battery
110ah battery runtime on 500w appliance = 540 / 100 = 1.2 hours
How long will a 110ah battery last? – chart
Here’s a chart on how long will a 12v 110ah lithium (LiFePO4) and the lea-acid battery will last while running a different watt load.
How long will 110ah lead-acid battery last?
|Appliance Power Required||110ah Battery Runtime|
|50 watt||12 hours|
|100 watt||6 hours|
|150 watt||4 hours|
|200 watt||3 hours|
|300 watt||2 hours|
|400 watt||1.5 hours|
|500 watt||1.2 hour|
|1000 watt||36 minutes|
|1500 watt||24 minutes|
|2000 watt||18 minutes|
|3000 watt||12 minutes|
- 12v 110ah lead-acid battery with a 50% depth of discharge limit will last between 6 hours (running a 100-watt AC load) to 36 minutes (running a 1000-watt AC load)
How long will 110ah lithium (LiFePO4) battery last?
|Appliance Power Required||110ah Battery Runtime|
|50 watt||24 hours|
|100 watt||12 hours|
|150 watt||8 hours|
|200 watt||6 hours|
|300 watt||4 hours|
|400 watt||3 hours|
|500 watt||2.4 hours|
|800 watt||1.5 hours|
|1000 watt||1.2 hour|
|1500 watt||48 minutes|
|2000 watt||36 minutes|
|3000 watt||24 minutes|
- 12v 110ah lithium (LiFePO4) battery with a 100% depth of discharge limit will last between 12 hours (running a 100-watt AC load) to 3 hours (running a 400-watt AC load)
Note! The values are based on AC output load with a 90% efficient inverter.
Assumptions & Shortcomings of All These Methods
Here are some extra yet important points to keep in mind when figuring out how long will your 110ah battery will last running a load
Battery life cycle count:
- The storage capacity of the battery will decrease with every cycle ( a cycle is when you charge and discharge the battery to its DoD limit ).
- if you have used your battery for a few hundred cycles then the result will be different. ( this factor isn’t included in my above-given methods )
Batteries are rated for 5 amps over 20 hours of time:
- Especially lead-acid type batteries are designed to be discharged at 20 hours. ( means 110ah lead-acid batteries are recommended to be discharged @ 5 amps in order to maintain the battery health and reduce the discharge efficiency ).
- on the other hand, AGM and lithium (LiFePO4) can be discharged at 50% of their capacity.
- Discharging your battery at a higher rate will increase heat in the battery’s internal cells which will cause power loss. (this factor isn’t included in my above-given methods).
- For example, if you discharge your lead-acid battery with 100 amps then it’s will not last 30 minutes ( keep in mind the 50% DoD limit ). but it may last about 10-15 minutes.
- Check the battery discharge rate on the specs sheet of your battery or it’ll be mentioned on the battery (1h → 1C, 2h → 0.5C, 5h → 0.2C, etc.)
- Solar Battery Charge Time Calculator + (Tips To Reduce Charge Time)
- Solar DC Watts To AC Watts Calculator & Formula
I hope this guide was helpful to you. if you have any queries Contact Us. Thank you