Whether you’re thinking about going on an RV trip this weekend or for whatever reason you wanna run your TV with a 12v battery. And wondering about how long will a 12-volt battery run a tv?
So you’re in the right place, you can use the calculator given below to know how long your 12v battery will last with running a TV.
And also I’m gonna explain some other important tips about running a TV on your 12v battery
How Long Will A 12-volt Battery Run A TV? in short, a 12v battery will last between 10-30 hours while running a TV. The exact value will depend on the capacity of a battery, its Depth of discharge limit, and the size of a Tv
The runtime will depend on the size of the battery and the wattage consumption by the TV
Calculator – How Long Can A 12-volt Battery Run A TV
How to use the calculator
- Battery Ah: Enter the capacity of your battery in Amp-hours (50Ah, 100Ah, 200Ah)
- Battery Volts: Enter the voltage of your battery (12v, 24v, 48v) in this case 12
- Battery Type: is it a lead-acid, lithium (LiFePO4), AGM, or Gel type battery?
- Load connected with inverter: are you using an inverter or gonna connect the TV directly to the battery (BTW connecting any load directly to the battery is not recommended)
- Total Load (Watts): Enter the total wattage input of your TV (Which you can usually find on the back side of your TV or use the bellow given chart to figure it out)
- After entering all the information click ” CALCULATE BUTTON ” to get the answer.
- Lead-acid, & AGM battery with 50% & lithium battery 100% depth of discharge limit
- If you’re using an inverter (which is the way to go to keep the system safe) there will be a power loss and it’s included (15%) I’ll discuss this in detail later in this post.
What Size Inverter Do I Need To Run A Tv?
in short, A 300-watt inverter would be enough to run any size tv.
I have covered this topic in detail but the key point is to add an extra 20% to your Tv power consumption rating to calculate the size of an inverter. Also, i have explained some key points when buying an inverter and what size cable should you use
Must Read: What Size Inverter Do I Need To Run A Tv?
How much power does a 12-volt TV use?
Most LED TVs use 12 volts (DC power) but some of them required 110-220V (AC power).
So if your TV is a 12v you can run it directly from the battery and the runtime will be higher (but can cause damage) for AC power required TV you would need an inverter
There are different sizes and types (LED, & plasma) of TVs available. So here’s a chart for you to better understand how much power will your TV be required
|TV size (inches)||TV type||Power Consumption (watts)|
how much power does a tv use? chart
Disclaimer! For more accurate wattage consumption please read the description part of your TV. If the capacity is measured in amps (A) then use this formula (watts = volts*amps)
Can you run a 240v TV off 12V? yes, you can run a 240V TV off a 12v battery with the help of an inverter.
How Long Will a 12v 100Ah Battery Run a TV?
A 12v 100Ah battery with a 50% depth of discharge limit will run a 32-inch LED TV (40W) for around 12 hours
This is how you can put the information to get the runtime of your battery while running a TV. Also, you can use this calculator to calculate the runtime of any size battery with any size load.
in-depth Answer: How Long Will A 100Ah Battery Run A Tv?
How Long Will A 12 volt Battery Run A TV? – Chart
Here’s a chart of different capacity 12v batteries and how long will they last running a TV
|LED TV (size)||12V Battery |
|Est. Battery Runtime with|
50% DOD limit
|18-inch (22W)||50Ah||11 hrs|
|18-inch (22W)||100Ah||23 hrs|
|18-inch (22W)||150Ah||34 hrs|
|18-inch (22W)||200Ah||46 hrs|
|24-inch (28W)||50Ah||9 hrs|
|24-inch (28W)||100Ah||18 hrs|
|24-inch (28W)||150Ah||27 hrs|
|24-inch (28W)||200Ah||36 hrs|
|32-inch (40W)||50Ah||6 hrs|
|32-inch (40W)||100Ah||12 hrs|
|32-inch (40W)||150Ah||18 hrs|
|32-inch (40W)||200Ah||24 hrs|
|40-inch (50W)||50Ah||5 hrs|
|40-inch (50W)||100Ah||10 hrs|
|40-inch (50W)||150Ah||15 hrs|
|40-inch (50W)||200Ah||20 hrs|
|50-inch (60W)||50Ah||4 hrs|
|50-inch (60W)||100Ah||8 hrs|
|50-inch (60W)||150Ah||12 hrs|
|50-inch (60W)||200Ah||16 hrs|
How long will a 12v battery run a Tv - chart
- 12v 50ah lead-acid battery will run a 24-inch LED Tv for about 9 hours and a 12v 50ah lithium (liFePO4) battery will run 32-inch LED Tv for about 18 hours
- 12v 200ah lead-acid battery will run a 32-inch LED Tv for about 24 hours and 12v 200ah lithium (liFePO4) battery will run 32-inch LED Tv for about 48 hours
Note! These values are based on a 50% depth of discharge limits like if you’re using lead-acid, AGM, or GEL batteries. But if it’s lithium-ion (LiFePO4) you can discharge it 100% and the runtime will be doubled
Must watch this video to increase the runtime of your 12v battery while running a TV
How Long Can a Car Battery Power a Tv?
12v 50Ah car battery can power a 24-inch LED TV for around 9 hours with a 50% depth of discharge limit
But should you use a car battery to run a tv? Yes, you can use a car battery as a deep cycle battery to run your appliances or Tv but it’s not the best idea. using a car battery as a deep cycle battery will decrease the charge holding capacity of your battery in the long term
Difference Between Car Battery vs Deep Cycle Battery? The main difference between a car battery and a deep cycle battery is that car batteries are designed to produce a short burst of power, on the other hand, deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged at a small amount of constant power for a longer period of time
- Maintenance-free, no water refilling
- Leak-proof and non-gassing for safety charge
- 3% self-discharge rate at 77°F (25℃) per month
- Excellent discharge performance
- 1100A (5 seconds) max. discharge current
- Discharge temperature range: 5°F~122°F
- Providing 4000+ Cycles, 10 times longer than lead acid battery with only 200~500 cycles
- Can be fully discharged up to 100%
- Maximum Continuous Charging Current: 100A
- Maximum Continuous Discharging Current: 100A
- Maximum Permanent Discharging Current: 280A 5Sec.
If you’re on budget AGM 100Ah battery will be a good option but if you can afford a lithium 100Ah battery so this investment will last for the rest of your life
Related Post: How Long To Charge 12v Battery With Solar Panel?
How to connect a TV to the battery?
I would suggest you watch the above video which I have embedded, in short, if wanna run a tv in your RV I would suggest you use the method mentioned in the video and use these DC-DC converters from Amazon to run your TV on 12v (DC)
Or the easiest or most secure method to run your TV with a battery is by using an inverter. Which will converter the DC into AC to power your TV
How to connect a battery to an inverter?
With the help of an inverter or DC-DC converter you can run a tv off a 12v battery
50Ah battery will be the best option to power your TV which will last a few hours while running a TV
a 12v battery can run a tv with the help of an inverter or DC-DC converter
Yes, you can run a TV off a leisure battery
Other Related Posts
- Solar Panel Calculator For Battery
- What Will An Inverter Run
- Solar DC Watts To AC Watts Calculator & Formula
- How Many Watts Can A Charge Controller Handle?
- Solar Panel Calculator For Battery
I hope this short guide was helpful to you. still, have any confusion? LEAVE A COMMENT or contact us. Thank You!